* [ANN] rake-compiler 0.5.0 Released
@ 2009-04-25 15:46 Luis Lavena
0 siblings, 0 replies; only message in thread
From: Luis Lavena @ 2009-04-25 15:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
To: RubyInstaller Developers (ML),
Ruby Talk, datamapper-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw,
Mongrel Developers (ML)
rake-compiler version 0.5.0 has been released!
rake-compiler aims to help Gem developers while dealing with Ruby C
extensions, simplifiying the code and reducing the duplication.
It follows *convention over configuration* and set an standarized
structure to build and package C extensions in your gems.
This is the result of expriences dealing with several Gems that required
native extensions across platforms and different user configurations
where details like portability and clarity of code were lacking.
== An Overview
Let's summarize what rake-compiler provides:
* No custom rake tasks required. Less code duplication and errors.
* Painlessly build extensions on different platforms (Linux, OSX and Windows).
* Allow multiple extensions be compiled inside the same gem.
* Mimics RubyGems installation process, so helps as test environment.
* Simplify cross platform compilation of extensions (target Windows from Linux).
=== 0.5.0 / 2009-04-25
* Allow generation of multiple gems for Windows (EXPERIMENTAL)
This allows build gems for both VC6 and MinGW builts of Ruby
(Thanks to Jonathan Stott for the suggestion)
Rake::ExtensionTask.new('my_extension', GEM_SPEC) do |ext|
ext.cross_compile = true
ext.cross_platform = ['i386-mswin32', 'i386-mingw32']
Perfection in design is achieved not when there is nothing more to add,
but rather when there is nothing more to take away.
Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
^ permalink raw reply [flat|nested] only message in thread
only message in thread, other threads:[~2009-04-25 15:49 UTC | newest]
Thread overview: (only message) (download: mbox.gz / follow: Atom feed)
-- links below jump to the message on this page --
2009-04-25 15:46 [ANN] rake-compiler 0.5.0 Released Luis Lavena
This is a public inbox, see mirroring instructions
for how to clone and mirror all data and code used for this inbox;
as well as URLs for read-only IMAP folder(s) and NNTP newsgroup(s).